Friday 5 August 2011

Biometric is not the best solution

My name is Anthony Tay and I am a retiree in my 70s. I vote in Segambut and I am writing to express my concern regarding the new biometric system which is going to be implemented in the coming 13th General Election.

This is because I have read in the papers that the Election Commission (EC) has announced that they are considering the usage of the biometric system to read the identity card of voters before allowing them to vote. However what is important to note is that the biometric system does not in anyway detect multiple voting. It just reads the identity card only. Period.

The Federal Government has given full support to this so-called advanced and sophisticated system despite its obvious flaws.

This being the case, the issue of multiple-voting has been totally ignored. Multiple-voting is the greatest crime of all as it is against the democratic process because it nullifies the one person-one vote formula.

To be frank, at first I was sceptical of Bersih's demands and was of the view that the rally on July 9 was much ado about nothing.

But now I am convinced that Bersih is absolutely correct in voicing out its concerns about the country's election process.

As a concerned voter, I am dismayed that my precious and valuable vote for my chosen candidate can easily be nullified twice, thrice or more by another person voting more than once. This is clearly unacceptable.

I am now fully in support of the usage of indelible ink to prevent voting fraud. It is a cheaper system and is an effective deterrent for those who intend to vote more than once for whatever reason.

The biometric system is unsuitable as it does nothing to prevent fraud. Even eligible and bonafide voters could be denied the right to vote due to the biometric machine failing to read the Malaysian citizen's identity card for one reason or other.

Why is the incumbent government so keen in endorsing the flawed biometric system? Could it be because they have already done their calculations on their chances of winning in the coming general election which is reputed to be just around the corner?



Taken from Harakah

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More